I started paying attention to my skin when I hit 50. Before that I would slap on whatever was around, used sunscreen only when I was at the beach, and figured “Oh well . . . I’ve already damaged it by spending countless hours in the sun, slathered with baby oil mixed with iodine, speeding up the damage by using a reflector, listening to Creedence Clearwater Revivial.”
It was when I got my first 10x mirror, which showed every wrinkle and dark spot on my face, did I finally make an appointment with Dr. Doris Day. Dr. Day has been on every major TV show, in all the magazines, and is in high demand for her expertise on everything having to do with skin, from acne to skin cancer to the latest cosmetic procedures.
Dr. Day eventually became one of my key experts in THE BEST OF EVERYTHING AFTER 50, because her advice was so solid, basic, doable, sustainable . . . and inexpensive. All good. Oh . . . and it works!
I visited Dr. Day this week for a “check-in” and to inquiry if there was anything new and better on the market. The answer? Nope . . . the basics are still the best.
Dr. Day’s recommendations are (in addition to getting enough sleep, drinking lots of water, wearing a hat and sunglasses, and keeping drinking alcohol to a minimum):
- Makeup Remover: It’s recommended in my book, and she still says its the best — ALBOLENE cream, which can be bought in any drug or mass merchandise store
- Sunscreen: No need to go crazy with 100 SPF . . . that’s a marketing ploy. But you should use at least 30 SPF, and preferably 50. Her favorites are NEUTRAGENA and COLORSCIENCE, which is a terrific product in the form of a powder. It comes in clear, or with a little hint of color, and best for the face. But, the best sunscreen, Dr. Day says, is the one you use.
- Moisturizer: You really don’t need to spend a lot of money on skin care, especially moisturizer. NEUTROGENA makes a great moisturizer with sunscreen to use every day (Healthy Skin Daily Moisturizer with SPF 50). Add a little olive oil to the moisturizer if your skin is extra dry.
- Daytime Treatment: Two years ago, Dr. Day recommended a product that it helps to combat the signs of aging, evens skin tone, and builds collagen. It’s probably the most effective antioxidant on the market — Revale’ Coffeeberry. Apply it every morning after you exfoliate, before your sunscreen.
- Nighttime Treatment: Dr. Day believes in the power of retinol, and highly recommends RETIN-A (or some version of it), which is prescription-only. There are excellent over-the-counter retinol products, but prescription-strength is superior and preferred. This should be applied at night, so it can work its magic while you sleep.
- Exfoliate: To help all these products work even better, you need to exfoliate the top layer of your skin every day. You can use a washcloth with a little bit of white sugar, or an over-the-counter facial cleanser that specifically exfoliates.
It’s that simple: exfoliate, treat, moisturize and protect. You will have a summer glow . . . all year long.
Tags: AARP. The Best of Everything After 50, After 50, Barbara Grufferman, Barbara Hannah Grufferman, Fearless, fitness after 50, Life After 50, makeup for women over 50, Midlife, skin care after 50, Style After 50, The Best of Everything After 50, The Best of Everything After 50: The Experts' Guide to Style, The Best of Everythng After 50, turning 50, Women after 50, women over 50, women's health